Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Dry Skin Care

People are made differently. We come in various races, shapes and sizes. While one individual may have flawless skin, another could be afflicted with severe acne. Much lies in the genetics of our parents. But, regardless of the skin type you have, there are ways of dealing with it and keeping it looking great. You just have to understand your skin's needs and proceed regularly with the right skin care products. For example, I have dry skin. This means I need to focus more on moisturizing than I do cleansing and treating acne. I require a dry skin care regime in order to keep my complexion looking stellar.

As a teenager, I watched my best friend suffer with some of the worst acne I'd ever seen. This guy endured countless breakouts on his face, back and chest. All the while, I dealt more with dry, flaky skin. So while he needed prescription acne treatment creams and gels, I required more gentle dry skin care solutions. I got into the routine of cleansing my face only once each day, which was at night time. I used and still use a gentle facial cleanser known as Purpose, which works great for my dry cheeks and forehead. When I rise in the morning, I simply wipe my mug clean with a damp washcloth. No cleanser is needed. In addition to cleansing properly, I apply a moisturizer from Jack Black's skin care line. I do this in the morning and night to ensure optimal moisture. If I do not apply the moisturizer, my complexion will feel tight and dry. If you also have dry skin, then you know what I'm talking about.

Don't forget the basics! Dry skin care means using tepid water and patting your face dry. The mild water will not strip your face of its essential oils. Remember to apply your moisturizer of choice immediately after washing your face. It will absorb better and do its job, locking moisture in the epidermis. Naturally your diet also plays a part in caring for your skin. Fresh fruits and vegetables will benefit any skin type. Finally, you'll want to make certain you drink plenty of water on a regular basis in order to stay hydrated.